Il vino. Una passione di famiglia.
Montefalco is called “The Balcony of Umbria” , thanks to its extraordinary geographical position: it is located on a hilltop and overlooks the valleys of the Clitunno, Topino and Tiber rivers.
After the fall of the Roman Empire some settlements sprang up, possibly on the ruins of Roman villas, and Montefalco was one of them: its first name was “Coccorone”.
Between late 1249 and early 1250 the settlement was called Montefalco, probably owing to the falcons of the Emperor Frederick II from Swabia. The Emperor spent a few days here , from 9th to 13th February 1240 and the evidence of his stay is shown by the arch that was built in his honour.
In 1848, after the extension of the municipal territory, Montefalco was recognized as a town by Pope Pio IX.
Montefalco is famous for the frescos of its churches and they are important references of Umbrian painting, as well as for the production of wine. In 1340 some Franciscan friars settled in the stately building of Saint Francis and started wine growing and producing .
The Municipal Statutes realized the importance and the vocation of this territory; they fixed the dates and the rules for the vintage and the sale of wine ( actually the first wine shops were near the ecclesiastical buildings )and established severe punishments for those who stole or damaged the vineyards.
Nowadays the stately building of Saint Francis is a museum and it is the symbol of the historical working environment and tools of the Montefalco wine growing and producing of those times.